Burma's Secret War
 General Information
Democracy will just have to wait. The rallies have been crushed and the protesters are in captivity, in hiding, or fleeing the country. Military vehicles sweep Burma’s main city Rangoon blaring menace from loudspeakers: "We have photographs. We are going to make arrests."
Estimates vary wildly about how many people were killed or detained in the latest protests. Dissident groups have put the death toll at 200 and detainees at 6000. Numbers are impossible to confirm; the regime severely curbs foreign reporting and it even pulled the plug on the Internet.
The scratchy TV images conveyed the bravery of the demonstrators and the brutality of the military. But what drove the protests? What is life really like for the Burmese people, especially for those who strive for reform?
Last year, former ABC south-east Asia correspondent Evan Williams travelled secretly to Burma, spending weeks with Karen medics in the jungle, evading army patrols and land mines. Then he went to the city as a tourist to meet, in secret, dissidents and victims of the regime.
Williams filmed chilling testimonies of murder, torture and intimidation by the Burmese regime. His report, "Burma's Secret War", not only details the junta's cruelty but also explains the desperation and anger that propelled monks and civilians onto the streets in recent days. "Burma's Secret War" aired on Britain's Channel 4 and, in a shorter version, on the ABC's Foreign Correspondent program last November. In the wake of the latest protests it will be broadcast in longer form on Four Corners, 8.30 pm Monday 8 October.
Reporter: Channel 4 UK , 2006. Original ABC broadcast: 08/10/2007
 Technical Specs
- File Name ........... : ABC.Four.Corners..Burma's.Secret.War.DivX.mp3.TPB.avi
- Total Size (MB) ... : 359.33 MB
- Duration .............. : 00:44:12
- Video Codec ....... : DivX 5.0 codec
- Resolution .......... : 720 x 404
- Aspect Ratio ....... : 1.78:1
- Video Bitrate ...... : 1009 KB/s
- Framerate .......... : 25 FPS
- Quality Factor ..... : 0.138 B/px
- Audio Codec ....... : MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
- Audio Bitrate ...... : 128 KB/s
- Channels ............ : 2 Ch
- Sampling Rate .... : 44100 Hz
- Ripped by ........... : Unknown capper, found on a The Pirate Bay torrent.
- Note ........... : The torrented file contained some fragments of commercials at the beginning and end. Edited out by l0thar for ed2k release.
 Further Information
 Release Post
 Related Documentaries
- Freedom and Fear in Myanmar
- The Battle of Chile
- Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country
- Building Burma's Death Railway: Moving Half the Mountain
- Wild Burma: Nature's Lost Kingdom
- Burma, My Father and the Forgotten Army
- Burma: The Village that Took on the Generals
- Aung San Suu Kyi: The Choice
- Amnesty: When They Are All Free
- Burma's Betrayal
- My Asian Heart
- War in the Jungle
- Afghanistan's Opium Trail
- Bomb Harvest
- Crackdown in Burma
- Inside Burma
 ed2k Links