General Information
also known as:
"Discovering Tchaikovsky" is a two-part series in which conductor Charles Hazlewood explores one of the works featured in BBC Two's accompanying drama-documentaries on the composer's life.
In each programme, Charles Hazlewood dissects the musical score itself, working through the music and explaining and analysing key points in the material with the orchestra performing fragments of the score to illustrate his points.
There then follows a full performance of the score, filmed at the spectacular Empress Ballroom in Blackpool's Winter Gardens.
 The Creation of Genius
In the first programme he examines the "Fantasy Overture" from Romeo And Juliet considered Tchaikovsky's first mature masterpiece. Working with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles explores how Tchaikovsky distilled the essence of Shakespeare's great romantic tragedy into music.
He also looks at the composer's earliest versions of the piece and the programme ends with a complete performance of Romeo And Juliet.
 Fortune and Tragedy
The second programme focuses on the first movement of Tchaikovsky’s final work, and what many regard as his greatest achievement – the Sixth Symphony, "The Pathetique", which premiered only a week before his death.
 Technical Specs
- Total Size (MB) ... : 534 MB
- Video Length ...... : 00:55:55
- Video Codec ....... : DivX 5.0 codec
- Video Bitrate ...... : 1201 KB/s
- Resolution .......... : 704 x 448
- Aspect Ratio ....... : 1.57:1
- Quality Factor ..... : 0.152 B/px
- Audio Codec ....... : MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
- Audio Bitrate ...... : 128 KB/s
- Channels ............ : 2 Ch
- Sampling Rate .... : 44100 Hz
- Ripped by ........... : Unknown UKNova TV capper
 Release Post
- MVGroup.org (ed2k)
- MVGroup.org (torrent)
- Norsk EselForum.org
- Phantom P2P.com
 Official Website
 Related Documentaries
- A Beauty is Born: Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty
- Leaving Home - Orchestral Music in the 20th Century
- Come Bell Ringing
- Being a Concert Pianist
- Rachmaninoff - The Harvest of Sorrow
- Come Clog Dancing
- Elgar - The Man Behind the Mask
- Chopin - The Women Behind the Music
- Herbert Von Karajan - Beauty as I see it
- The Birth of British Music
- Jean Sibelius
- Opera Italia
- All the Russias - A Musical Journey
- Franz Peter Schubert - The Greatest Love and the Greatest Sorrow
- How Music Works
- In Search of Mozart
- Looking Glass
- The Genius of Beethoven
- The Genius of Mozarts