Japan in Ruins
 General Information
A documentary by Serge Viallet.
It is the day after the end of World War II. Nine million Japanese are homeless. Three million are dead - 1.3 million of whom were civilians who died in the massive American bombing campaign of which the atomic bomb was only a part. More than 6.5 million Japanese half of them civilians are detained in the former occupied territories. There are about 150 0 lost orphaned or abandoned children living on the streets. More than 2 million Japanese civilians and military are in the hands of the Soviets and most of the soldiers who fought in Malaysia and Burma will not return before the end of 1947.
 Tokyo The Day The War Ended
Begins with the Japanese invasion of China in 1931 and ends with the surrender ceremony in the Bay of Tokyo on board the USS Missouri on 2nd September 1945.
Using some of the best archival footage ever shown, it takes the viewer through the key events immediately subsequent to the Japanese surrender which established General MacArthur as the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers in Japan.
 Japan in Ruins
The immediate aftermath of the war and the rebuilding period during which time the Japanese began to question issues like foreign occupation; the individual and collective silence surrounding the 15 years of conflict; the slow and progressive repatriation of 6.5 million civilians and military dispersed over the former occupied territories; the devastation of most cities; and the crippling poverty that now plagued the country.
This part explores the more personal side of the wars impact on the ordinary participant.
 Technical Specs
- File Name ........... : Pt1_Tokyo_The Day The War Ended .avi (as named in the torrent release)
- Total Size (MB) ... : 746.08 MB (each of 2 parts)
- Duration .............. : 00:52:14
- Video Codec ....... : XviD MPEG-4 codec
- Resolution .......... : 720 x 560
- Aspect Ratio ....... : 1.28:1
- Video Bitrate ...... : 1804 KB/s
- Framerate .......... : 25 FPS
- Quality Factor ..... : 0.179 B/px
- Audio Codec ....... : FAST Multimedia AG DVM (Dolby AC3)
- Audio Bitrate ...... : 192 KB/s
- Channels ............ : 2 Ch
- Sampling Rate .... : 48000 Hz
- Ripped by ........... : Unknown ripper, torrented at torrentbox.com. Posted at MVG by MonUncle.
 Further Information
 Release Post
 Official Website
 Related Documentaries
- Unsung Heroes of the B-29s
- Cycle Around Japan: A Nagasaki Pilgrimage
- Fall of Japan: In Color
- Mach Stem: The Nagasaki Bombing Intensified
- Nagasaki Peace Ceremony (NHK 2014)
- The Fall of Singapore: The Great Betrayal
- The Boys of H Company
- Japan's War in Colour
- Nagasaki: The Horror and Legacy of Fat Man, the World's 1st Plutonium Bomb
- Pearl Harbor - Legacy of Attack
- The Hiroshima Pictures
- White Light, Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
 ed2k Links